Some artisans whose works are available at Kyoto Design House graciously opened their workshops and homes to grant us the privilege of sharing their amazing talents with the world. By observing their techniques and hearing the artisans’ voices, you can appreciate their completed works even more as your special Japanese gift becomes a unique link that forever ties you to its creator.
- Kirikane Gold Leaf Card Case
- Hair-thin strands of gold leaf are carefully applied to create decorative card cases.
- Handmade Kyoto Saga Mask
- Father and son create expressive masks like those originally used for kyōgen theatre in the Saga area of Kyoto.
- Platinum-coated Kyoto Ceramics
- Crafted by a Kyoto family, one side is painted with traditional artwork while the other is coated in liquid platinum.
- Hand-painted Shikebiki Scarf
- Using a technique developed for dyeing kimono fabric, specialized brushes are used to paint silk scarves by hand.